Kymeta Delivers Sustained Industry-First Performance LevelsCompany delivers successful live flat-panel satellite demonstration during Monaco Yacht Show and demonstrates readiness for Q2 2017 launch. Kymeta continues […]
Company delivers successful live flat-panel satellite demonstration during Monaco Yacht Show and demonstrates readiness for Q2 2017 launch. Kymeta continues track record of successful satellite connectivity with metamaterials-based technology – adding world record antenna combining and gain to the company’s list of successes.
REDMOND, Washington – October 13, 2016 – Today Kymeta, the company delivering the promise of global, mobile connectivity, announced performance results of a week-long live demonstration at the Monaco Yacht Show. The company realized impressive data rates of 65 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. Kymeta also demonstrated an unprecedented 2.9 dB additional gain when combining two Kymeta® mTennau7 antenna subsystem modules (ASMs). Having already demonstrated mobile satellite tracking and logging over 50,000 kilometers of connected driving (Kymeta Connected Across America), this achievement represents another major milestone for the company, which is poised to begin pilot production in December 2016.
The demonstration was a stunning example of what will be possible beginning in Q2 2017. Kymeta mTennau7 ASMs simultaneously received eight live Panasonic multicast eXTV channels, performed multiple live Skype video sessions, multiple HD and Ultra HD Netflix video sessions, and provided Wi-Fi access to an average of 80 users at any one time during the show. The demonstration also confirmed the low-power consumption of the Kymeta mTenna® technology, drawing only 12 watts of power per ASM.
“We are laying a strong foundation for our maritime market launch and it is exciting to share these results with our partners and customers,” said Håkan Olsson, vice president of Maritime, Kymeta. “The demonstration of the maritime product throughout the Monaco Yacht Show will be closely followed by further product testing on various vessel types in December, and continue in early 2017 through commercial availability in Q2 2017.”
The Impressive Results – Achieved using just two combined Kymeta mTennau7 ASMs which are less than 6cm thick:
- Data rates of 65 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up: Connected to Panasonic’s satellite network, Kymeta consistently delivered more than 12 times the Netflix recommended speeds for HD streaming.
- Kymeta combiner providing 2.9 dB additional Rx gain: Combining two Kymeta mTennau7 ASMs provided unsurpassed 2.9 dB additional Rx gain. The combiner is designed to unite up to 64 Kymeta mTennau7 ASMs.
- Ability to multi-task high-bandwidth applications: Kymeta’s mTennau7 ASMs showcased the ability to handle multiple high-bandwidth applications at once by receiving eight live TV channels, multiple Skype sessions, multiple Netflix video streaming sessions in HD, and more than 80 Wi-Fi users, simultaneously.
- mTenna technology requires only 12 watts of power, per ASM: The metamaterials-based satellite mTennau7 ASM draws power levels similar to that of an LED light bulb.
- Hand-carry ease: All equipment was hand-carried by individual employees and required no costly equipment to lift and place system components.
- Ease of set up: Connection to the satellite was established each day in a fraction of the time it takes to install and set up a traditional gimbaled antenna.
Partner Ecosystem Supports Pre-orders
Beyond Kymeta mTennau7 ASM performance, the company and its partners including Panasonic, iDirect, Intelsat, Intellian, and e3 form the ecosystem that will support the mTenna technology deployment.
“Several of the world’s most iconic yachts have now signed up for the Kymeta mTenna technology as a direct result of the successful demonstration in Monaco, with many other commitments from superyacht owners and designers expected to take place over the next few months. We are excited to begin pilot production in December 2016 and launch commercially in 2017,” said Olsson.
Kymeta has built an ecosystem of partners to deliver the mTenna technology to the maritime industry.
- Intelsat is a primary satellite provider partner for satellite bandwidth.
- The Monaco demonstration leveraged the Panasonic satellite network for high-speed internet access and highlighted Panasonic’s eXTV service.
- Kymeta partnered with iDirect by using an iDirect 9350 modem during the show.
- Intellian is a key maritime integration partner for the Kymeta mTenna technology.
- e3 Systems, a leading yacht communications specialist, is already working with a number of owners and management companies to bring the Kymeta mTenna technology to the yacht market including taking many on-site orders as a result of the successful demonstration.
“Several shipyards and top marquee yacht designers approached us interested in being the first to integrate Kymeta’s flat-panel antennas into their new builds. We have taken pre-orders during the show which will allow yacht owners, captains, and management companies to secure early delivery of Kymeta solutions,” said Roger Horner, managing director, e3 Systems.
Interested? Let us Know:
Pilot production for the Kymeta mTennau7 ASM begins December 2016 with planned commercial availability of this product in Q2, 2017. Yacht owners and maritime technology administrators interested in trials or deployment can learn more at kymetacorp.com/nodomes.
- Explore the future of superyacht design
- Watch a video of a superyacht before and after Kymeta mTenna technology
- Get more information about Kymeta superyacht solutions
- Learn more about Kymeta’s maritime mTennau7 ASM
- Find out more information on Kymeta and read our latest news
- Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
About Kymeta Corporation
Kymeta delivers on what connectivity is meant to be – secure, available, universal and global. Kymeta is removing barriers by providing an innovative means of leveraging satellite network capacity for high bandwidth communication access while on the move. The company’s first product, a software-enabled metamaterials-based electronic beamforming antenna for satellite communications, will keep boats, planes, cars, and more connected.
The company has been awarded the 2016 Seattle Business Silver Tech Impact Award for Emerging Technology, the 2016 AHEAD Innovators Award, which were closely preceded by the Frost & Sullivan 2016 New Product Innovation Award. The company has also been recognized as a CNBC Disruptor for two consecutive years, a FiReStarter by Strategic News Network and a top 50 MIT Technology Review Disruptive Company. Kymeta has formed significant partnerships with industry leaders including Toyota, Intelsat, Panasonic, Inmarsat, Airbus Defence & Space, Sharp, Intellian, O3b, and more. If it moves, Kymeta will keep it connected. Anywhere. The company is based in Redmond, Washington and operates on a worldwide basis. For more information, please visit kymetacorp.com.
Business Inquiries for Kymeta:
Director of Marketing
Media Inquiries for Kymeta:
Director of Public Relations
The Summit Group